Thursday, September 11, 2014

Everyone's Got a Story To Tell About Today

Like most who experienced it, I vividly remember this day 13 years ago. Everyone has a story to tell.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I was in New York City but my story is boring. I was newly married, living in Manhattan.  My wife and I both worked in midtown. Nobody close to us was impacted directly by the attacks. I remember looking at the burning towers and arrogantly thinking to myself, "terrorists can try all they want, but those towers are not coming down."

Until they did. A new vulnerability was born.

Today, my client's office is near the World Trade Center site, and I've been commuting to the area and watching the ongoing construction. The memorial, fountains, museum, and public plaza are beautiful remembrances. Yes, it's touristy. I feel bad for the mourners who are overcome by emotions and have to navigate through selfie-takers and press vultures.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to see throngs of people smiling, laughing, and once again living life on that plaza. All good people lost something that dark day, and we're taking back what's ours.

Here's hoping your September 11th story is as boring as mine.  If you've lost people close to you, I hope you find some comfort in knowing your loved ones are not forgotten.

Yit-gadal v'yit-kadash sh'may raba.
SHARE! Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr SHARE!

2 comments:

  1. boring stories about September 11th are the best stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more. After 13 years, it is still gut-wrenching to hear the sad stories.

      Delete