Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The World's Most Adaptable Man

On the train one recent evening, I witnessed the WORLD'S MOST ADAPTABLE MAN. You may think I'm speaking in hyperbole, but I'm not.  Really, I saw a person who did something so incredible that he easily qualified as the WORLD'S MOST ADAPTABLE MAN. Let me tell you why.

Breathtaking architecture like this is visible from the LIRR
I was on the eastbound train home, and we were approaching my destination, Hicksville. I was restless so I got up and stood in the vestibule. I played with my phone and looked out at the beautiful Long Island scenery. All along the railway line are the backs of strip malls, with overflowing dumpsters and debris. And the architecture! Many of these buildings were constructed using the rarest of cinderblock. Sometimes the cinderblock is painted, and sometimes it's a beautiful natural gray. Indescribable. The photo does it no justice. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to take a trip on the Long Island Rail Road main line one day. You'll be glad you did.

Sorry, I'm deviating from topic. Back to the story.

I was standing in the vestibule, and I looked over at the seats. That was when I saw the WORLD'S MOST ADAPTABLE MAN. To best describe what I saw, I provide the crude photo below.

First, to show where I was, look near the doors. That's me smiling for the camera. In reality though, I was looking at the three people on the left.

The WORLD'S MOST ADAPTABLE MAN has his head against the window, and he is out cold. Snoring, probably catching flies. And look what's going on around him! There's a woman blathering on her cel phone right next to him. And what's going on behind him? There's a man talking on his cel phone.

How did he do it? How did he manage to sleep with all that racket going on around him? Assuming he didn't take an Ambien sleeping pill for the commute, and that he hadn't been on an all day drinking bender, one can only assume that he's highly even-keeled and can handle just about everything. Kudos to him, I wish I could be that tolerant.

This person is, in my opinion, the consummate professional commuter. He is the WORLD'S MOST ADAPTABLE MAN. Or he suffers from hearing loss.

**

Happy and safe commuting, and may you encounter uncommon sense.

Share your commuting stories on the Facebook TTIV site, on Twitter, using hashtag #TTIV, or via email.

Sign up for the blog mailing list by entering your email address in the "Follow By E-Mail" box.

Twitter: @davidrtrainguy
email: thetrain.invain.829@gmail.com

Tell a friend!



SHARE! Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr SHARE!

2 comments:

  1. That is me. I would appreciate if you would stop drawing arrows aimed at my junk. Thank you.

    TWMAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, TWMAM. If the arrow was aimed at your junk, I sincerely apologize, it was not intentional. If I had done it intentionally, the story probably would have been more appropriate for a different type of blog.

      Delete