Thursday, July 24, 2014

Don't Let The Blog Bugs Bite

Some folks have told me about a technical glitch they've seen on this blog site.  It happens when you use an iPhone to open a blog entry from a browser like Safari or Chrome.  When the post appears it will be small and hard to read, requiring "pinch and zoom" to see the text.  When you pinch and zoom, the site refreshes the screen with the second most recent blog post.


1.  Most recent blog post (NFW - Non Functional Walk)
Hard to read, right?  Try pinch and zoom. 
2.  On pinch and zoom, it refreshes and shows the second most recent blog post (LIRR Strike Averted)

I don't know why it does this. When you create a blog site, you choose a template, which establishes the site style, including look and feel, colors, columns, headers, etc. The template includes a mobile version.  Once you've chosen and organized your template, you focus on content.   You have little control over the template unless you know a lot about building web sites.

As someone who wrote custom software for the Financial Services industry for many years, I felt qualified to look under the hood and figure out what's going on.

After a careful and painstaking analysis of the code, I concluded that I am no longer a member of the order of humans who could make sense of this jumbled mess of numbers, letters, and special characters.

The code looked a bit like hieroglyphics, but less pleasing to the eye
Clearly, my days of engineering software are long past.  I tried to contact the template designer, but received no response. 

It seems my only option is to change to a new template, unless there's a reader out there who is 1) a software engineer, and 2) interested in spending time helping me to figure out what is going on.

I will update to a new template as soon as I can. In the meantime, there is a workaround.  When the browser does this, tap the browser "back" button to return to the latest post.  Pinching and scrolling works on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. 

Thanks to those of you who reported this to me.  It is nice to know that people read this.

Happy commuting, and may you encounter uncommon sense.

The best compliment I can receive is a new follower who was referred by a friend! 

Sign up for the blog mailing list by entering your email address in the "Follow By E-Mail box."  Or, if you're on Facebook, give TheTrainInVain page a "Like."  You can also follow me on Twitter.

Twitter: @davidrtrainguy
email: thetrain.invain.829@gmail.com
SHARE! Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr SHARE!

2 comments:

  1. Another workaround. Don't pinch and zoom. Just click the reading pane view. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really helpful advice, much better than my workaround. Thank you -

    ReplyDelete