Wednesday, February 04, 2015

The Unthinkable Happens In Valhalla

What a horrible story coming out of Valhalla yesterday. Seven people dead due to a train-car collision. My heart goes out to the people impacted by this.

As is typical of news reports, witnesses were quoted in one of the papers I read this morning. To my surprise, one of the quotes was attributed to an old friend who I haven't spoken to in some time but is often in my thoughts. He was on that train. I'm glad he was quoted instead of being named as one of the victims. 

I wish I had words that could make sense of something this devastating. We're all one mistake away from the other side. Don't forget to live.

SHARE! Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr SHARE!

3 comments:

  1. Such a tragedy. No one expects to lose a loved one while they are simply commuting to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The saddest part is how preventable it was. Just terrible.

      Delete
  2. I used to always sit in the front car so I could save a few seconds by beating the crowd when the train arrived at the final station. Several years ago I was sitting in the front car when we hit a pickup truck that tried to run the crossing gate. I will never forget that moment. The impact was so great that I thought that the train would derail. The noise of the event is permanently etched into my mind. The driver of the pickup was late for work and tried to beat the train. He died instantly. The conductor and train engineer were both devastated and emotional. I was personally very upset and since that day I never again rode in the front car.

    ReplyDelete